Bandh paralyses normal life in Assam
Guwahati: The 12-hour Assam bandh called on Thursday by the Opposition Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) and the Assam Tea Tribes Students` Association, to protest against yesterday`s police firing in Golaghat in which three persons were killed, paralysed normal life across the state.
Activists of several organisations of students, tea tribes, transport and others along with the AGP came out on the roads across the state to protest against the police firing on groups protesting against the recent violence along the Assam-Nagaland border in which nine persons were killed.
There was no report of any bandh-related incidents so far from any part of the state though a strict vigil was being maintained by the security forces to prevent any untoward incident, a police spokesman said here.
All shops, business houses and educational institutions remained closed and attendance in government offices was thin.
Vehicular traffic remained off the road as several bus associations also decided to keep their vehicles off the road in protest.
Assam State Transport Corporation owned buses operated a skeletal service though long distance services remained suspended during the day.
Rail and air services, however, remained unaffected.
The AGP staged demonstrations in all the district headquarters to protest against the government`s alleged failure to protect the lives and property of people living along the Assam-Nagaland border.
The state unit of the BJP has extended their support to the bandh and burnt the effigy of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi here after taking out a procession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH