Bandh paralyses normal life in Assam
Guwahati: The 12-hour Assam bandh called on Thursday by the Opposition Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) and the Assam Tea Tribes Students` Association, to protest against yesterday`s police firing in Golaghat in which three persons were killed, paralysed normal life across the state.
Activists of several organisations of students, tea tribes, transport and others along with the AGP came out on the roads across the state to protest against the police firing on groups protesting against the recent violence along the Assam-Nagaland border in which nine persons were killed.
There was no report of any bandh-related incidents so far from any part of the state though a strict vigil was being maintained by the security forces to prevent any untoward incident, a police spokesman said here.
All shops, business houses and educational institutions remained closed and attendance in government offices was thin.
Vehicular traffic remained off the road as several bus associations also decided to keep their vehicles off the road in protest.
Assam State Transport Corporation owned buses operated a skeletal service though long distance services remained suspended during the day.
Rail and air services, however, remained unaffected.
The AGP staged demonstrations in all the district headquarters to protest against the government`s alleged failure to protect the lives and property of people living along the Assam-Nagaland border.
The state unit of the BJP has extended their support to the bandh and burnt the effigy of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi here after taking out a procession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!