Bangladeshi man arrested in Assam
Guwahati: A Bangladeshi national was arrested in this main Assam city for illegal stay in India since 1993 and employment in a courier company, police said on Saturday.
Subrata Dasgupta was arrested from a rented house in Islampur area late Friday night. He did not have valid documents, including visa, to enter India.
Police said that preliminary investigation showed that the accused hails from Manikgaon area in Bangladesh`s Dhaka district.
"Subrata has been working at a private courier company in Guwahati. He entered India in 1993 and stayed in Kolkata for several years," a police official said.
The accused was living in Assam for more than 10 years and married an Indian woman from Kolkata five months back, he said.
"We are going to present him in court and he is likely to be deported back to Bangladesh," the police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok