Bangladeshi man arrested in Assam
Guwahati: A Bangladeshi national was arrested in this main Assam city for illegal stay in India since 1993 and employment in a courier company, police said on Saturday.
Subrata Dasgupta was arrested from a rented house in Islampur area late Friday night. He did not have valid documents, including visa, to enter India.
Police said that preliminary investigation showed that the accused hails from Manikgaon area in Bangladesh`s Dhaka district.
"Subrata has been working at a private courier company in Guwahati. He entered India in 1993 and stayed in Kolkata for several years," a police official said.
The accused was living in Assam for more than 10 years and married an Indian woman from Kolkata five months back, he said.
"We are going to present him in court and he is likely to be deported back to Bangladesh," the police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best