Bhaona theatre festival from March 2
Guwahati: A three-day festival of `Bhaona`, the traditional theatre form evolved by saint Srimanta Sankardeva, would be held here from March two
in a bid to integrate the ethnic communities with traditional Vaishnav Assamese society.
`Setubandhan-2012`, would for the first time stage dramas of the Vaishnav saint in the language of the tribes stage the show.
Organised jointly by Asom Sattra Mahasabha and Srimanta Foundation, the festival will stage the saint`s three dramas Hiranyakuxipu Badh, Sita Haron Bali Badh and Parijat Haran.
Mahasabha President Lila Kanta Mahanta and Foundation President K D Goswami told reporters here on Sunday that the first two drama would be performed in Bodo and Mishing languages, while the third would be performed by participant from various communities like Moran, Sonowal Kachari, Ahom, Chutiya and Tea tribes and will be in the original Ankiya Nat
format written by Sankardeva.
During the festival, four academic sessions would also be held to discuss various forms of the state`s Vaishnavite culture, which include among others `Mati Akhara` (a form of rhythmic exercise) and community health, `Khanikar` or craftsmen tradition and its commercial potentialities and `namghar` or prayer houses as a social institution.
A special session for students of university, colleges and corporates on the life, philosophy and the socio-cultural heritage on the Sankardeva movement would also be conducted.
An exhibition displaying the various facets of Sattriya culture, its utility and relevance would also be organised on the occasion, the organsiers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel