Bhaona theatre festival from March 2
Guwahati: A three-day festival of `Bhaona`, the traditional theatre form evolved by saint Srimanta Sankardeva, would be held here from March two
in a bid to integrate the ethnic communities with traditional Vaishnav Assamese society.
`Setubandhan-2012`, would for the first time stage dramas of the Vaishnav saint in the language of the tribes stage the show.
Organised jointly by Asom Sattra Mahasabha and Srimanta Foundation, the festival will stage the saint`s three dramas Hiranyakuxipu Badh, Sita Haron Bali Badh and Parijat Haran.
Mahasabha President Lila Kanta Mahanta and Foundation President K D Goswami told reporters here on Sunday that the first two drama would be performed in Bodo and Mishing languages, while the third would be performed by participant from various communities like Moran, Sonowal Kachari, Ahom, Chutiya and Tea tribes and will be in the original Ankiya Nat
format written by Sankardeva.
During the festival, four academic sessions would also be held to discuss various forms of the state`s Vaishnavite culture, which include among others `Mati Akhara` (a form of rhythmic exercise) and community health, `Khanikar` or craftsmen tradition and its commercial potentialities and `namghar` or prayer houses as a social institution.
A special session for students of university, colleges and corporates on the life, philosophy and the socio-cultural heritage on the Sankardeva movement would also be conducted.
An exhibition displaying the various facets of Sattriya culture, its utility and relevance would also be organised on the occasion, the organsiers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks