BJP, AGP playing politics over Assam riots: Tarun
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday charged the BJP and AGP with "playing politics" over the recent violence in Assam and said his government had done its best to prevent illegal immigration from Bangladesh.
"They (AGP and BJP) are only playing politics. They have no interest in deporting foreigners. What did they do when they were in power?" Gogoi told reporters here.
"AGP leader Prafulla Kumar Mahanta was twice the Chief Minister. What did he do?" he added.
Gogoi said the Congress government had intensified border patrolling besides strengthening riverine policing and floodlighting the Indo-Bangladesh border.
"No other government had taken as much effort as I have to stop infiltration. I have even constituted thana committees for detection and deportation of illegal immigrants. But nobody comes forward to identify foreigners," he said.
Regarding the charge made by BJP leader LK Advani over inaction in updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC), Gogoi said: "It is my government who initiated measures to update the NRC. When Advaniji was Union Home Minister, he never spoke on the issue."
Gogoi reiterated there were no illegal infiltrators in the camps for displaced persons of the ethnic violence.
"If there are any foreigners, they (AGP and BJP) should prove it. The statement made by them are false," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY