BJP criticise Gogoi over Japan tour
Guwahati: BJP Wednesday criticised Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi for being on a foreign tour at a time when the state is reeling under floods and demanded dismissal of state Environment and Forest Minister over killing of animals at Kaziranga National Park by poachers.
"Governance has ceased to exist in Assam. The Chief Minister is having a luxury tour abroad even as people in the state have to wade through chest-deep water," BJP national vice-president and Lok Sabha MP Bijoya Chakravarty told reporters here.
Gogoi is currently on a six-day trip to Japan as part of the delegation of the Empowered Group of State Finance Ministers.
Chakravarty also accused Assam government of failing to utilise over Rs 2,000 of central assistance for flood control and irrigation provided during the 12th Plan.
Referring to the situation at Kaziranga National Park, she said it was among the worst affected in the floods as most of the area in it is inundated.
"Three rhinos have been killed by poachers at Kaziranga since yesterday. Kaziranga is the state`s major heritage and its loss would be catastrophic to Assam."
She accused state Environment and Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain of turning a blind eye to the state of affairs in the park and said that the minister had allowed large scale encroachment by illegal immigrants in it.
"Hussain is the main culprit ... Why is he still silent after so many animals have been killed and lakhs of hectares of the park`s land has been encroached ... We demand the sacking of the Forest minister," Chakravarty stressed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren