BJP criticizes Assam govt, minister on KNP
Guwahati: At a time when the Kaziranga National Park was facing its worst crisis due to flood and poaching, the BJP on Friday accused the government of being involved in the act of settling down illegal migrants by clearing the jungle.
"Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain have hatched a big conspiracy to free the park so that illegal migrants could be settled to increase the Congress vote bank", party MP Rajen Gohain told reporters here.
The Congress party, particularly Hussain, was trying to evict indigenous people from the buffer zone of the park to allow the migrants to encroach on the forest areas, Gohain said.
The government has declared a tiger zone inside the park. But there are 185 villages housing indigenous people in the core area who have to removed as nobody is allowed to reside in a forest core zone, he said.
"But significantly the government has declared buffer zone for the tiger project where illegal migrants have encroached thereby allowing them to stay on", Gohain said.
More than 22 animals, including nine highly endangered one horned rhinos, have perished either in the floods or at the hands of poachers since last week when the third wave of floods started.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!