BJP criticizes Assam govt, minister on KNP
Guwahati: At a time when the Kaziranga National Park was facing its worst crisis due to flood and poaching, the BJP on Friday accused the government of being involved in the act of settling down illegal migrants by clearing the jungle.
"Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain have hatched a big conspiracy to free the park so that illegal migrants could be settled to increase the Congress vote bank", party MP Rajen Gohain told reporters here.
The Congress party, particularly Hussain, was trying to evict indigenous people from the buffer zone of the park to allow the migrants to encroach on the forest areas, Gohain said.
The government has declared a tiger zone inside the park. But there are 185 villages housing indigenous people in the core area who have to removed as nobody is allowed to reside in a forest core zone, he said.
"But significantly the government has declared buffer zone for the tiger project where illegal migrants have encroached thereby allowing them to stay on", Gohain said.
More than 22 animals, including nine highly endangered one horned rhinos, have perished either in the floods or at the hands of poachers since last week when the third wave of floods started.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand