BJP demands dismissal of Tarun Gogoi govt
New Delhi: Accusing the Congress of playing vote-bank politics by allowing Bangladeshi migrants to settle in Assam, BJP on Wednesday took to the streets here seeking dismissal of the Tarun Gogoi government.
Addressing party supporters at a protest here, BJP chief Nitin Gadkari alleged that Assam government was turning a deaf ear to the problems of the people in the state which has been hit by ethnic violence.
"If a state government cannot protect its citizens, it has no moral authority to continue in power. We appeal to the Prime Minister to remove this inefficient (Assam) government which has been unable to control the riots," Gadkari said.
He claimed it was not a communal question but a question of Bangladeshi migrants entering territory and encroaching on our land.
He alleged that the state government was not listening to people`s problems because "they don`t want to lose their vote banks. The Congress party allows easy migration of Bangladeshis, provides them ration cards and other benefits to ensure their votes for the party."
Gadkari claimed that the international border between Assam and Bangladesh has not been sealed despite repeated requests.
Another senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley said Assam?s basic problem has been that Assamese culture has been destroyed.
"The intrusion of Bangladeshi migrants illegally into Assam has shorn the state of its definite culture. We, therefore, demand a democratic change in Kokrajhar to protect the lives of native Bodos," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price