BJP demands resignation of Gogoi
Barpeta (Assam): BJP on Sunday charged the Tarun Gogoi-led Assam government with failure on the law and order front and demanded resignation of the chief minister.
"The chief minister, who also holds the home portfolio, has failed in ensuring law and order in Assam," BJP state committee spokesperson Sarbananda Sonowal told reporters here.
At the state BJP executive committee`s two-day meeting here, the former Lok Sabha MP said the Gogoi government had assured that women in Assam would get adequate protection.
"But during 2006-2011, 11,553 women were kidnapped and 7,163 women raped in the state. As home minister of Assam, Tarun Gogoi totally failed to administrate the police force properly," Sonowal claimed, adding that incidents of murder, theft and dacoity were on a rise in the state.
"Such a chief minister should resign from his post as he had failed in all fronts," he alleged.
The BJP has also demanded that work on the upgradation of the National Register of Citizens in Assam should be taken up immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best