BJP MP injured in lathi-charge in Assam
Karimganj (Assam): BJP MP Kabindra Purkayastha was injured in a lathi-charge by security forces in Dholai town in Cachar district on Wednesday.
Official sources said Purkayastha, who is the MP from Silchar, was holding a protest meeting at Dholai after the recovery of the body of a BJP worker, Swapan Pal, who was allegedly killed by workers of a rival party last night in the main bazaar area of the town.
BJP workers shouted slogans and threw stones at the police.
The police and CRPF personnel lathi-charged them, fired tear gas shells and also fired in the air, the sources said.
Purkayastha, a former union minister, was given first-aid and on his way back to Silchar.
Nine other BJP workers were also injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption