BJP MP injured in lathi-charge in Assam
Karimganj (Assam): BJP MP Kabindra Purkayastha was injured in a lathi-charge by security forces in Dholai town in Cachar district on Wednesday.
Official sources said Purkayastha, who is the MP from Silchar, was holding a protest meeting at Dholai after the recovery of the body of a BJP worker, Swapan Pal, who was allegedly killed by workers of a rival party last night in the main bazaar area of the town.
BJP workers shouted slogans and threw stones at the police.
The police and CRPF personnel lathi-charged them, fired tear gas shells and also fired in the air, the sources said.
Purkayastha, a former union minister, was given first-aid and on his way back to Silchar.
Nine other BJP workers were also injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat