BJP MP injured in lathi-charge in Assam
Karimganj (Assam): BJP MP Kabindra Purkayastha was injured in a lathi-charge by security forces in Dholai town in Cachar district on Wednesday.
Official sources said Purkayastha, who is the MP from Silchar, was holding a protest meeting at Dholai after the recovery of the body of a BJP worker, Swapan Pal, who was allegedly killed by workers of a rival party last night in the main bazaar area of the town.
BJP workers shouted slogans and threw stones at the police.
The police and CRPF personnel lathi-charged them, fired tear gas shells and also fired in the air, the sources said.
Purkayastha, a former union minister, was given first-aid and on his way back to Silchar.
Nine other BJP workers were also injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars