BJP MP injured in lathi-charge in Assam
Karimganj (Assam): BJP MP Kabindra Purkayastha was injured in a lathi-charge by security forces in Dholai town in Cachar district on Wednesday.
Official sources said Purkayastha, who is the MP from Silchar, was holding a protest meeting at Dholai after the recovery of the body of a BJP worker, Swapan Pal, who was allegedly killed by workers of a rival party last night in the main bazaar area of the town.
BJP workers shouted slogans and threw stones at the police.
The police and CRPF personnel lathi-charged them, fired tear gas shells and also fired in the air, the sources said.
Purkayastha, a former union minister, was given first-aid and on his way back to Silchar.
Nine other BJP workers were also injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police