BJP to abstain from voting on May 30 RS polls
Guwahati: BJP legislators in Assam will abstain from voting on May 30 elections for the two Rajya Sabha seats from the state, party state president Sabananda Sonowal said Friday.
The BJP MLAs would not vote as the party did not support any of the contestants -- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Santius Kujur of the Congress and AIUDF`s Aminul Islam, Sonowal told reporters here.
The BJP has five members in the 126-member House.
The Prime minister`s victory is certain as he is the only contestant for the first preference votes of the 78 Congress legislators, while Kujur and Islam are tied for the second seat from the state, which has seven seats in the upper house.
The All India United Democratic Front`s is the single largest opposition party in the House with 18 seats.
Santius Kujur is an Adivasi leader from the Christian community who had contested the last assembly polls from Panery in Udalguri district, while Aminul Islam is AIUDF`s general secretary and an advocate in the Gauhati High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video