BJP to abstain from voting on May 30 RS polls
Guwahati: BJP legislators in Assam will abstain from voting on May 30 elections for the two Rajya Sabha seats from the state, party state president Sabananda Sonowal said Friday.
The BJP MLAs would not vote as the party did not support any of the contestants -- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Santius Kujur of the Congress and AIUDF`s Aminul Islam, Sonowal told reporters here.
The BJP has five members in the 126-member House.
The Prime minister`s victory is certain as he is the only contestant for the first preference votes of the 78 Congress legislators, while Kujur and Islam are tied for the second seat from the state, which has seven seats in the upper house.
The All India United Democratic Front`s is the single largest opposition party in the House with 18 seats.
Santius Kujur is an Adivasi leader from the Christian community who had contested the last assembly polls from Panery in Udalguri district, while Aminul Islam is AIUDF`s general secretary and an advocate in the Gauhati High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why