Blast in IOC pipeline, ULFA claims responsibility
Tinsukia: An oil pipeline at Makum in upper Assam`s Tinsukia district was on Tuesday damaged in an explosion for which ULFA claimed responsibility.
The explosion in the pipeline of the IOC-Assam Oil Division (AOD) created a 4-ft crater in Pachim Mamarani area, AOD sources said, adding there was no report of any casualty.
The explosion led to a minor fire.
The pipeline carries finished refined petrol, diesel and furnace oil to AOD`s terminal at Tinsukia for retail distribution. Some quantity of oil in the pipeline spilled over two acres near the place of occurrence.
Senior IOC-AOD officials and security forces have rushed to the spot to find out the cause of the blast, which was yet to be ascertained, they said. It could be due to technical reasons as well, they said.
Meanwhile, the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), in an e-mail to PTI, claimed responsibility for the blast.
The Paresh Baruah-led faction`s publicity wing member Aranya Asom said magnetic programmable time device was used to blow up the oil pipeline.
Police, however, said the hand of the proscribed ULFA in the explosion could not be confirmed immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials