Blockade affects traffic on NH-52 in Assam
Tezpur: Vehicular traffic was affected on National Highway 52 today following a road blockade called by six organisations to protest against the abduction of a businessman in Assam`s Sonitpur district.
Nearly five hundred vehicles were stranded on both sides of NH-52 at Thelamara near Dhekiajuli town when members of six organisations including All Assam Students` Union (AASU) and Assam Tea Tribe Students` Association (ATTSA) blocked the highway.
The protesters were demanding the safe and unconditional release of businessman Suman Sahu, who was allegedly kidnapped by suspected NDFB(R) militants from a vehicle at Gulai in Missamari town of the district on November eight last, within 12 hours.
The blockade was later lifted after Sonitpur Additional Deputy Commissioner Rajib Barua and Dhekiajuli Revenue Circle Officer Manoj Sikaria assured the protesters that the district administration would take all possible measures to ensure the release of Sahu, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!