Blockade affects traffic on NH-52 in Assam
Tezpur: Vehicular traffic was affected on National Highway 52 today following a road blockade called by six organisations to protest against the abduction of a businessman in Assam`s Sonitpur district.
Nearly five hundred vehicles were stranded on both sides of NH-52 at Thelamara near Dhekiajuli town when members of six organisations including All Assam Students` Union (AASU) and Assam Tea Tribe Students` Association (ATTSA) blocked the highway.
The protesters were demanding the safe and unconditional release of businessman Suman Sahu, who was allegedly kidnapped by suspected NDFB(R) militants from a vehicle at Gulai in Missamari town of the district on November eight last, within 12 hours.
The blockade was later lifted after Sonitpur Additional Deputy Commissioner Rajib Barua and Dhekiajuli Revenue Circle Officer Manoj Sikaria assured the protesters that the district administration would take all possible measures to ensure the release of Sahu, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation