Blockade affects traffic on NH-52 in Assam
Tezpur: Vehicular traffic was affected on National Highway 52 today following a road blockade called by six organisations to protest against the abduction of a businessman in Assam`s Sonitpur district.
Nearly five hundred vehicles were stranded on both sides of NH-52 at Thelamara near Dhekiajuli town when members of six organisations including All Assam Students` Union (AASU) and Assam Tea Tribe Students` Association (ATTSA) blocked the highway.
The protesters were demanding the safe and unconditional release of businessman Suman Sahu, who was allegedly kidnapped by suspected NDFB(R) militants from a vehicle at Gulai in Missamari town of the district on November eight last, within 12 hours.
The blockade was later lifted after Sonitpur Additional Deputy Commissioner Rajib Barua and Dhekiajuli Revenue Circle Officer Manoj Sikaria assured the protesters that the district administration would take all possible measures to ensure the release of Sahu, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam