Blockade affects traffic on NH-52 in Assam
Tezpur: Vehicular traffic was affected on National Highway 52 today following a road blockade called by six organisations to protest against the abduction of a businessman in Assam`s Sonitpur district.
Nearly five hundred vehicles were stranded on both sides of NH-52 at Thelamara near Dhekiajuli town when members of six organisations including All Assam Students` Union (AASU) and Assam Tea Tribe Students` Association (ATTSA) blocked the highway.
The protesters were demanding the safe and unconditional release of businessman Suman Sahu, who was allegedly kidnapped by suspected NDFB(R) militants from a vehicle at Gulai in Missamari town of the district on November eight last, within 12 hours.
The blockade was later lifted after Sonitpur Additional Deputy Commissioner Rajib Barua and Dhekiajuli Revenue Circle Officer Manoj Sikaria assured the protesters that the district administration would take all possible measures to ensure the release of Sahu, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi