Blockade affects traffic on NH-52 in Assam
Tezpur: Vehicular traffic was affected on National Highway 52 today following a road blockade called by six organisations to protest against the abduction of a businessman in Assam`s Sonitpur district.
Nearly five hundred vehicles were stranded on both sides of NH-52 at Thelamara near Dhekiajuli town when members of six organisations including All Assam Students` Union (AASU) and Assam Tea Tribe Students` Association (ATTSA) blocked the highway.
The protesters were demanding the safe and unconditional release of businessman Suman Sahu, who was allegedly kidnapped by suspected NDFB(R) militants from a vehicle at Gulai in Missamari town of the district on November eight last, within 12 hours.
The blockade was later lifted after Sonitpur Additional Deputy Commissioner Rajib Barua and Dhekiajuli Revenue Circle Officer Manoj Sikaria assured the protesters that the district administration would take all possible measures to ensure the release of Sahu, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy