Bodos and non-Bodos clash in Lower Assam
Rangiya (Assam): The All Bodo Students` Union (ABSU) and Non-Bodo Protection Forum activists today clashed during agitations by both organisations in Lower Assam districts, police said.
The ABSU had blocked the NH 31 at different places of Lower Assam in support of their various demands while the Forum had called a 12-hour Assam bandh demanding non-inclusion of non-Bodos within the Bodoland Territorial Council.
Activists of both groups clashed at Bhogpur area under Goreswar police station of Baksa district leading to the injuries of eight people with condition of one of the injured stated to be critical. He has been admitted to Guwahati Medical College Hospital.
More than five thousand ABSU activists had blocked NH-31 at Bhetakuchi area near Rangiya and Ghograpar in Nalbari from 7 am demanding a separate directorate for Bodo medium education, appointment of sufficient teachers in Bodo-dominated schools, conduct of separate Teachers` Eligibility Test (TET) among others.
Rangiya Subdivisional Police Officer Mrinal Deka told PTI that though the situation was under control, tension prevails in the area.
Over 1,000 picketeers have been taken into preventive custody and additional security personnel deployed in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!