Bodos and non-Bodos clash in Lower Assam
Rangiya (Assam): The All Bodo Students` Union (ABSU) and Non-Bodo Protection Forum activists today clashed during agitations by both organisations in Lower Assam districts, police said.
The ABSU had blocked the NH 31 at different places of Lower Assam in support of their various demands while the Forum had called a 12-hour Assam bandh demanding non-inclusion of non-Bodos within the Bodoland Territorial Council.
Activists of both groups clashed at Bhogpur area under Goreswar police station of Baksa district leading to the injuries of eight people with condition of one of the injured stated to be critical. He has been admitted to Guwahati Medical College Hospital.
More than five thousand ABSU activists had blocked NH-31 at Bhetakuchi area near Rangiya and Ghograpar in Nalbari from 7 am demanding a separate directorate for Bodo medium education, appointment of sufficient teachers in Bodo-dominated schools, conduct of separate Teachers` Eligibility Test (TET) among others.
Rangiya Subdivisional Police Officer Mrinal Deka told PTI that though the situation was under control, tension prevails in the area.
Over 1,000 picketeers have been taken into preventive custody and additional security personnel deployed in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes