Bodos and non-Bodos clash in Lower Assam
Rangiya (Assam): The All Bodo Students` Union (ABSU) and Non-Bodo Protection Forum activists today clashed during agitations by both organisations in Lower Assam districts, police said.
The ABSU had blocked the NH 31 at different places of Lower Assam in support of their various demands while the Forum had called a 12-hour Assam bandh demanding non-inclusion of non-Bodos within the Bodoland Territorial Council.
Activists of both groups clashed at Bhogpur area under Goreswar police station of Baksa district leading to the injuries of eight people with condition of one of the injured stated to be critical. He has been admitted to Guwahati Medical College Hospital.
More than five thousand ABSU activists had blocked NH-31 at Bhetakuchi area near Rangiya and Ghograpar in Nalbari from 7 am demanding a separate directorate for Bodo medium education, appointment of sufficient teachers in Bodo-dominated schools, conduct of separate Teachers` Eligibility Test (TET) among others.
Rangiya Subdivisional Police Officer Mrinal Deka told PTI that though the situation was under control, tension prevails in the area.
Over 1,000 picketeers have been taken into preventive custody and additional security personnel deployed in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video