Border resident declared doubtful voter commits suicide
Silchar: A resident of an Indo-Bangla border village allegedly committed suicide after he was declared a `D` or doubtful voter and was not given the form for voter photo identity card in Assam`s Cachar district, police said on Saturday.
32-year old Arjun Namasudra, a resident of Indo-Bangla border village Haritikar part-I (Subodh Nagar colony) hanged himself on Friday after a case was filed against him in the Foreigners` Tribunal alleging that he was a doubtful citizen.
Namasudra`s wife, Basana claimed that he had got the notice twice from the Tribunal but could not appear as he was a poor daily wage worker and had no money to pay the lawyers.
He was very depressed and under tension that he would be deported to Bangladesh any day, she claimed.
``Few days ago, the form for voter photo identity card was distributed in the area. As he was a declared D voter nothing was given to him and this made him more depressed``, his wife said.
His father Late Ananta Namasudra came to India in 1950 and had a refugee card but Arjun was born in India, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore