Brahmaputra erodes 60 houses in Assam
Guwahati: Altogether 60 houses were eroded in Morigaon by the Bramhaputra river, which was flowing one metre above danger level in the Assam district on Friday, with no sign of improvement in other areas of the state.
The 60 dwellings destroyed were situated between Goroimari and Bhajaikhaity villages under the Lahorighat revenue circle in the riverine `Leoramukh` area, Water Resources Department sources said.
The affected families were sheltering on the river embankment, the sources said.
Massive erosion also took place in Bhuragaon and Mayong revenue circles of the district.
Over 2,000 hectare of agricultural land with rice crops were totally damaged in Mayong, the sources said.
Nearly 450 villages with a population of 1.2 lakh were affected in 11 districts.
The affected districts were Dhemaji, Tinsukia, Chirang, Nagaon, Golaghat, Jorhat, Kamrup, Karimganj, Lakhimpur, Morigaon and Sivasagar where around 6,500 hectare of agricultural land were affected, the sources said.
Nine relief camps sheltering 3000 persons were set up in Dhemaji and Chirang districts, Disaster Management Authority sources said.
One person died earlier in Morigaon district in the first wave of floods in mid-May.
The floods also hit the Kaziranga National Park and the Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary with an elephant and an antelope perishing in Nagaon district.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh spoke to Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and assured him of central help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!