Bride among six killed in accident, groom injured
Jalpaiguri: Six persons, including a bride, were killed and 10 others injured when an SUV carrying a marriage party hit a road side tree in Haldibari area of Coochbehar district in the small hours today, the police said.
The accident occurred near Kashiabari Krishi Farm at about 1 AM when the marriage party was returning to the groom`s place after the wedding at Berubari.
While two children -- aged two and five -- died on the spot, two succumbed at the Jalpaiguri Hospital and as many at the North Bengal Medical College Hospital, they said.
The bride, Mahasina Begum (30), died at Jalpaiguri hospital, while the 65-year-old bridegroom Maqbul Hossain was injured.
Altafuddin, a relative of the bride`s family, has alleged that the driver of the SUV was drunk and was vehicle was in high speed.
The driver was among the injured, the sources said, adding six persons were admitted to the North Bengal Medical College Hospital, while four were being treated at Jalpaiguri hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress