Bride among six killed in accident, groom injured
Jalpaiguri: Six persons, including a bride, were killed and 10 others injured when an SUV carrying a marriage party hit a road side tree in Haldibari area of Coochbehar district in the small hours today, the police said.
The accident occurred near Kashiabari Krishi Farm at about 1 AM when the marriage party was returning to the groom`s place after the wedding at Berubari.
While two children -- aged two and five -- died on the spot, two succumbed at the Jalpaiguri Hospital and as many at the North Bengal Medical College Hospital, they said.
The bride, Mahasina Begum (30), died at Jalpaiguri hospital, while the 65-year-old bridegroom Maqbul Hossain was injured.
Altafuddin, a relative of the bride`s family, has alleged that the driver of the SUV was drunk and was vehicle was in high speed.
The driver was among the injured, the sources said, adding six persons were admitted to the North Bengal Medical College Hospital, while four were being treated at Jalpaiguri hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why