Bride among six killed in accident, groom injured
Jalpaiguri: Six persons, including a bride, were killed and 10 others injured when an SUV carrying a marriage party hit a road side tree in Haldibari area of Coochbehar district in the small hours today, the police said.
The accident occurred near Kashiabari Krishi Farm at about 1 AM when the marriage party was returning to the groom`s place after the wedding at Berubari.
While two children -- aged two and five -- died on the spot, two succumbed at the Jalpaiguri Hospital and as many at the North Bengal Medical College Hospital, they said.
The bride, Mahasina Begum (30), died at Jalpaiguri hospital, while the 65-year-old bridegroom Maqbul Hossain was injured.
Altafuddin, a relative of the bride`s family, has alleged that the driver of the SUV was drunk and was vehicle was in high speed.
The driver was among the injured, the sources said, adding six persons were admitted to the North Bengal Medical College Hospital, while four were being treated at Jalpaiguri hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'