BTAC accused of failing to give security to people
Kokrajhar (Assam): With situation in five strife-torn lower Assam districts stabilising, local Congress units and minority student bodies today accused the Bodoland Territorial Administration Council (BTAC) of failing to provide security.
"We have urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in a memorandum during his visit here yesterday to institute a CBI probe into the entire incident," opposition All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) president Badaruddin Ajmal said.
"There have been atrocities on the minority community for which the Congress-led UPA at the Centre, which has an alliance with the ruling Bodoland Peoples Front, is totally responsible," he alleged.
On the other hand, General Secretary of Kokrajhar district Congress committee Mazaharul Islam Uttam alleged that BPF was behaving in the "most arrogant manner" and demanded snapping of ties with the party.
He said the current alliance was limited only to Dispur (state capital). "We have 78 of the 126 seats in the state Assembly. So why do we need help of 12 BPF MLAs?" he posed.
He accused the BTAC administration of being biased in providing security and relief to victims.
The All Bodoland Minority Students Union (ABMSU) also charged the BTAC with "denying constitutional rights to non-Bodos."
"We are treated as second class citizens and minorities are a deprived lot in many aspects including education, jobs and social benefits," ABMSU president S Alam said.
Regarding the genesis of the current violence, he said it all started after two minority student leaders were shot at by unidentified gunmen at Kokrajhar on July 19. The next day four former Bodo Liberation Tiger members were hacked to death.
53 people have been killed and three lakh displaced in clashes between immigrants and Bodo tribals so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill