Campaigning for first phase of panchayat polls in Assam end
Guwahati: Campaigning for the first phase of panchayat elections in Assam, scheduled on January 30, ended on Monday.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi addressed several campaign meetings for Congress candidates in upper Assam`s Dibrugarh district while Education and Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma addressed several party meetings in Nagaon district.
Asom Gana Parishad(AGP) president and former chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta also campaigned for the party in his assembly constituency of Baharampur in Nagaon district in last minute efforts to woo voters.
Altogether 28,680 candidates will contest the first phase of panchayat polls in eight districts of upper Assam.
643 candidates will contest for the post of Zilla Parishad member, 2,801 for Anchalik Panchayat member, 3,099 candidates for Gaon Panchayat president`s post and 22,137 candidates filed their nominations for Gaon Panchayat membership.
In the first phase, Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, Jorhat, Sivasagar, Golaghat, Kaliabor, Nagaon Sadar, Lakhimpur and Dhemaji districts will go to the hustings.
The counting of votes would take place on February 14 and February 15.
Assam government has declared paid holidays in all districts and sub-divisions during the three phase panchayat elections in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown