Campaigning for first phase of panchayat polls in Assam end
Guwahati: Campaigning for the first phase of panchayat elections in Assam, scheduled on January 30, ended on Monday.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi addressed several campaign meetings for Congress candidates in upper Assam`s Dibrugarh district while Education and Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma addressed several party meetings in Nagaon district.
Asom Gana Parishad(AGP) president and former chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta also campaigned for the party in his assembly constituency of Baharampur in Nagaon district in last minute efforts to woo voters.
Altogether 28,680 candidates will contest the first phase of panchayat polls in eight districts of upper Assam.
643 candidates will contest for the post of Zilla Parishad member, 2,801 for Anchalik Panchayat member, 3,099 candidates for Gaon Panchayat president`s post and 22,137 candidates filed their nominations for Gaon Panchayat membership.
In the first phase, Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, Jorhat, Sivasagar, Golaghat, Kaliabor, Nagaon Sadar, Lakhimpur and Dhemaji districts will go to the hustings.
The counting of votes would take place on February 14 and February 15.
Assam government has declared paid holidays in all districts and sub-divisions during the three phase panchayat elections in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Rio-returned athlete Sudha Singh hospitalized
- Companies' business confidence index grows 2.2% in June quarter
- Sensex falls for second straight session, cracks below 28,000-mark
- NIA reveals why ISIS bigger threat to India than Pakistani terrorists - Read details
- How to prevent obesity, eating disorders in teenagers