Campaigning for first phase of panchayat polls in Assam end
Guwahati: Campaigning for the first phase of panchayat elections in Assam, scheduled on January 30, ended on Monday.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi addressed several campaign meetings for Congress candidates in upper Assam`s Dibrugarh district while Education and Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma addressed several party meetings in Nagaon district.
Asom Gana Parishad(AGP) president and former chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta also campaigned for the party in his assembly constituency of Baharampur in Nagaon district in last minute efforts to woo voters.
Altogether 28,680 candidates will contest the first phase of panchayat polls in eight districts of upper Assam.
643 candidates will contest for the post of Zilla Parishad member, 2,801 for Anchalik Panchayat member, 3,099 candidates for Gaon Panchayat president`s post and 22,137 candidates filed their nominations for Gaon Panchayat membership.
In the first phase, Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, Jorhat, Sivasagar, Golaghat, Kaliabor, Nagaon Sadar, Lakhimpur and Dhemaji districts will go to the hustings.
The counting of votes would take place on February 14 and February 15.
Assam government has declared paid holidays in all districts and sub-divisions during the three phase panchayat elections in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'