Cases pending against them, three file nominations in Assam
Guwahati: Three candidates are among those who have filed nominations for the April seven first phase Lok Sabha poll in Assam have criminal cases pending against them in the court.
One among them is the controversial former Congress MP, Moni Kumar Subba, and the two others are former ULFA militants.
The regional Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) is the only political party to give a ticket to a former ULFA militant, Hari Prasad Dihingiya from Lakhimpur. He has cases pending against him under the TADA Act.
The Congress denied ticket to Subba, after which he filed his nomination as an independent from Tezpur.
Former ULFA militant Jiten Gogoi, who was an independent member of the state legislative assembly for two consecutive terms since 2001, also faces charges pending against him in the Additional Sessions Court of Golaghat.
According to the affidavit signed by Subba who represented the Congress from Tezpur in the Lok Sabha for three consecutive terms, he lost the 2009 polls to AGP`s Joseph Toppo.
Subba is an accused in two cases for alleged rape, cheating and forgery with the concerned courts taking cognisance of the cases and framing charges against him.
In the first case, Subba has been charged under Section 376 of IPC for alleged offence of rape and Additional Session Judge of Kamrup, Guwahati took cognisance of the case and framed charges on January 3, 2012.
The case is currently pending in the Additional Sessions Judge No:4, Kamrup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened