CBI closure report of FCI official`s killing rejected
Guwahati: CBI`s plea for closure of the case relating to FCI official PC Ram, who was kidnapped by ULFA militants and subsequently killed in an encounter, has been rejected by a local court here.
Ram`s son Praveen Kumar Gautam had filed a petition on Thursday challenging the closure report submitted by the CBI due to lack of proper evidence in the case.
Special Judicial Magistrate Nazneen A Ahmed on Friday rejected the CBI plea for closure of the case and directed the investigative agency to get the case probed by another "responsible officer".
The court further observed that the investigations had many loopholes and did not take into consideration many important clues.
Ram, the then FCI executive director for North-East, was killed on July 11, 2007 after being kidnapped by suspected ULFA militants from Ulubari area in Guwahati on April 18 the same year.
He was killed in an encounter between the police and the abductors at Borka Panitenga village in Kamrup (Rural) district.
A week before his killing in the encounter, Ram`s son had identified another body as that of his father and cremated it in New Delhi but the abductors later called him up to say that he was alive and the search operations were renewed.
The state government had asked the Centre to initiate a CBI inquiry into the killing after Ram`s family also demanded it alleging that he was not killed in the crossfire but shot in cold blood at point blank range.
Ram`s driver, Rabiram Basumatary, the lone witness to the abduction, committed suicide in May 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation