CBI makes first arrests in Assam violence cases
New Delhi: The CBI on Wednesday made the first arrests in Assam violence cases by taking into custody five youths in connection with alleged lynching of four Bodo youths in Kokrajhar area in July.
These five persons belonging to non-Bodo community were called for questioning yesterday and were taken into custody after they allegedly admitted their involvement in the crime, CBI sources said.
Making a significant head way in the case, the agency has also recovered two mobile phones which belonged to the lynched youths which helped them in identifying the accused persons, they said.
On 20th July, four former Bodo youths were killed allegedly by a mob in Kokrajhar triggering ethnic violence in Assam.
The sources said Mohammed Hashem Ali, Mohammed Adom Ali Sheikh, Mohammed Hashim Ali Rehman, Mohammed Qurban Ali Sheikh, Mohammed Imran Hussain were arrested after detailed questioning by agency sleuths.
They would soon be produced before the special court for custody.
"CBI had registered this case on 10.8.2012 relating to the alleged lynching of four Bodo youths by a mob in Police Station Kokrajhar (Assam)," CBI spokesperson said here today.
She said CBI had taken up investigation of seven cases including relating to recent incidents of ethnic violence in certain places of Assam on the request of the Government of Assam and further notification from Government of India.
"These cases were earlier registered by Assam Police," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city