CBI makes first arrests in Assam violence cases
New Delhi: The CBI on Wednesday made the first arrests in Assam violence cases by taking into custody five youths in connection with alleged lynching of four Bodo youths in Kokrajhar area in July.
These five persons belonging to non-Bodo community were called for questioning yesterday and were taken into custody after they allegedly admitted their involvement in the crime, CBI sources said.
Making a significant head way in the case, the agency has also recovered two mobile phones which belonged to the lynched youths which helped them in identifying the accused persons, they said.
On 20th July, four former Bodo youths were killed allegedly by a mob in Kokrajhar triggering ethnic violence in Assam.
The sources said Mohammed Hashem Ali, Mohammed Adom Ali Sheikh, Mohammed Hashim Ali Rehman, Mohammed Qurban Ali Sheikh, Mohammed Imran Hussain were arrested after detailed questioning by agency sleuths.
They would soon be produced before the special court for custody.
"CBI had registered this case on 10.8.2012 relating to the alleged lynching of four Bodo youths by a mob in Police Station Kokrajhar (Assam)," CBI spokesperson said here today.
She said CBI had taken up investigation of seven cases including relating to recent incidents of ethnic violence in certain places of Assam on the request of the Government of Assam and further notification from Government of India.
"These cases were earlier registered by Assam Police," she said.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Trio of Earth-like planets found may posses perfect conditions for life, claim scientists
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to go back to Goa after Union Cabinet reshuffle?
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating
- Smoking inside home makes kids ill