Centre asks Assam govt to beef up security in Bodo areas
New Delhi: Warning repeat of 2012 communal clashes, the Home Ministry has asked the Assam government to tighten security in Bodo dominated areas which have witnessed several killings and kidnapping in recent days.
In a letter, the Ministry conveyed to the state government that there have been instances when petty incidents have turned into major clashes resulting in loss of human lives and property.
Reminding that the major clashes between the Bodo and minorities in Assam in 2012 started from a minor incident, the Home Ministry told the Assam government to nip in the bud such incident by immediately sending forces and providing security to the victims.
More than 100 people lost their lives in the 2012 clashes in Bodo dominated areas in the state.
At least 10 people were killed and six others were kidnapped in separate incidents in Assam in last fortnight.
Curfew was also imposed in Chirang district after police resorted to lathicharge and lobbed teargas shells to disperse a mob which lynched a suspected NDBF terrorist and attacked a police outpost, besides burning down a house here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack