Centre asks Assam to deploy Army, seize illegal ar
New Delhi: In the wake of fresh violence in Kokrajhar, the Centre has asked the Assam government to be on high alert, deploy Army and seize illegal arms to put an end to the clashes between Bodos and immigrant Muslims.
The Home Ministry also asked the Defence Ministry to make available Army personnel whenever necessary to assist the civil administration in restoring normalcy.
In its advisory, the Centre said police, paramilitary and army personnel must be put on high alert and deployed in violence-hit areas to maintain peace.
State and Central intelligence agencies were asked to be more vigilant so that they get information in advance about possible trouble and alert law enforcement agencies on time.
The Home Ministry asked the state government to launch a special drive to seize illegal arms believed to be in the possession of warring groups. It said the district administrations should be sensitised to requisition armed personnel without delay when there is an outbreak of violence.
Curfew was clamped in Kokrajhar town yesterday after one person was shot dead and a trader was injured in an attack by armed people, taking the toll to six since November 10.
Four BTAD and Dhubri districts were affected by violence between Bodos and minorities in July-August that left 90 people dead and more than 4.80 lakh homeless.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had yesterday called up Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to discuss law and order situation in violence-hit BTAD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Cancer: Early warning signs you shouldn't ignore!