Centre asks Assam to deploy Army, seize illegal ar
New Delhi: In the wake of fresh violence in Kokrajhar, the Centre has asked the Assam government to be on high alert, deploy Army and seize illegal arms to put an end to the clashes between Bodos and immigrant Muslims.
The Home Ministry also asked the Defence Ministry to make available Army personnel whenever necessary to assist the civil administration in restoring normalcy.
In its advisory, the Centre said police, paramilitary and army personnel must be put on high alert and deployed in violence-hit areas to maintain peace.
State and Central intelligence agencies were asked to be more vigilant so that they get information in advance about possible trouble and alert law enforcement agencies on time.
The Home Ministry asked the state government to launch a special drive to seize illegal arms believed to be in the possession of warring groups. It said the district administrations should be sensitised to requisition armed personnel without delay when there is an outbreak of violence.
Curfew was clamped in Kokrajhar town yesterday after one person was shot dead and a trader was injured in an attack by armed people, taking the toll to six since November 10.
Four BTAD and Dhubri districts were affected by violence between Bodos and minorities in July-August that left 90 people dead and more than 4.80 lakh homeless.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had yesterday called up Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to discuss law and order situation in violence-hit BTAD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre