Centre mum on declaring Assam flood, erosion as national problem
Guwahati: The Centre has not yet sent any response to Assam government`s plea to declare the flood and erosion problem in the state as national problem.
Water Resources Minister Rajib Lochan Pegu said in the assembly today that the state government has urged the Centre thrice to declare Assam`s flood and erosion problem as a national problem.
"In 2002 we sent a proposal to the Centre and it was followed by another in 2005. Then on July 18, 2012, the assembly passed a resolution which has already been sent to the Union Water Resources ministry," Pegu said in reply to a question.
He added, "So far no response has been received from the centre. Union Water Resources Ministry said it is still under consideration."
Pegu said flood and erosion are major problems facing the state and it is not possible to solve with them without assistance from the Centre.
Not satisfied with his response, members of the All India United Democratic Front said that while the state government has announced a number of schemes to check the effects of erosion, not much has been done on the ground.
In response, Pegu said that 120 schemes have been prepared for this fiscal, of which 77 have been forwarded to the Central Water Commission.
Leader of Opposition Sirajuddin Ajmal asked if the government would agree to form a commission consisting of both ruling and opposition party members "which can go to the Centre every 3-4 months to pursue" the matter of declaring flood and erosion as national calamity.
"If the assembly agrees, we can send more delegations," Pegu said.
The AIUDF members demanded grant of Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) certificates to families affected by erosion.
Sherman Ali Ahmed (AIUDF) said 1.30 lakh families have been displaced from their homes due to erosion by Brahmaputra and its tributaries.
In response, Minister for Revenue and Disaster Management Prithibi Majhi said that the government has already formulated plans to form a Rehabilitation Authority.
"Granting of IDP status is not a simple issue," Majhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez