Centre rushes 2 medical teams to Assam
New Delhi: Centre on Friday rushed two teams of doctors and nurses to the riot-hit regions of Assam to complement the state government efforts to provide relief and medical help to people in relief camps.
Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth reviewed the relief and medical arrangements for the victims of the worst communal violence witnessed in recent times in lower Assam districts during a video conference with Assam Chief Secretary Naba Kumar Das.
"Two teams comprising physician, gynaecologist, paediatrician, public health specialists, resident doctors and nurses have been airlifted from Delhi at 5.15 pm today," an official spokesperson said.
The doctors and nurses will support the state government`s efforts to provide relief and immediate medical help to the people in the relief camps.
Seth also reviewed arrangements to ensure that food and other supplies were available in adequate measures.
Nearly two lakh people have taken shelter in 250 relief camps in the five riot-hit districts of Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Chirang, Baksa and Dhubri.
The region witnessed communal riots between the immigrant minorities and the ethnic tribal populations.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is scheduled to visit Assam tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh