Centre sanctions Rs 9.31 cr for playfields in Assam villages
Guwahati: The Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has sanctioned Rs 9,31,96,200 to Assam for development and maintenance of playfields in rural areas.
The fund has been sanctioned under the Panchayat Yuva Krida Abhiyan (PYKKA) and will be utilised for development and maintenance of playfields in 666 gram panchayats and 44 block panchayats, an official statement said.
Under the PYKKA, playfields are developed and maintained in villages and block panchayats across the country in a phased manner and competitions are conducted annually at block, district, state and national level.
The scheme was introduced in 2008-09.
It provides 100 per cent central assistance to states and Union Territories for holding annual rural sports competitions at various levels and also provides financial support for conducting National Women Championships and North East Games.
Across the country, PYKKA is planned to create basic sports infrastructure in 2.50 lakh village panchayats and 6400 block panchayats in a phased manner over a period of 10 years.
In the last four years (2008-09 to 2011-12), a total of 51,759 village panchayats and 1,538 block panchayats across India have been covered under the PYKKA Scheme for development and maintenance of playfields.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today