Centre seek utilisation certificate of funds
Guwahati: The Centre has asked all north eastern states to provide details on utilisation certificates regarding funds provided for developmental activities in areas under Sixth Schedule and autonomous councils.
"All concerned departments of all the states in the north eastern states have been asked to give detailed reports regarding utilisation certificate for funds sanctioned to areas under Sixth Schedule and autonomous councils by November 18," Union Minister of State for Tribal Affairs Ranee Narah told reporters here.
Speaking to reporters during her first visit to the her home state after being inducted into the central ministry last month, Narah said there were complaints that concerned departments in the states were not providing utilisation certificates on time against allocated funds.
"We want to know how much money has been sanctioned for those areas, what has been utilised, what has not been utilised, what activities have been undertaken and so on. This would help us to prepare plans in future and also remove mismanagement," she said.
Asked about protest against power projects and dams in her native Lakhimpur constituency, she said such projects were essential for development.
"However, at the same time, we have to remove the
misapprehensions among the people and ensure that their life and property do not suffer. I`ll raise the issue with the prime minister so that such issues are resolved amicably," Narah said.
The minister also expressed dissatisfaction as some states have no separate ministry for tribal welfare.
"Even Mizoram has no ministry of tribal welfare, which is very essential. I shall raise the matter with the chief minister of the state," Narah said.
The minister also called for stern action against contractors who violated official norms while undertaking anti-flood and anti-erosion projects.
"Such contractors should be blacklisted," Narah said.
Regarding media reports that she may well turn out to be a successor to Tarun Gogoi as Chief Minister of Assam, she said: "I think media has created this impression."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi