‘China`s Brahmaputra plans not worrisome’
New Delhi: The Centre on Thursday dismissed concerns raised by the Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi over China’s proposed plans to divert the course of Brahmaputra River.
Gogoi was assured by External Affairs Minister SM Krishna that the government holds the view - after closely monitoring developments on the Chinese side - that it will not adversely impact water flow in Assam.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Gogoi said, “Various monitoring groups were keeping a tab on the affairs for the last three years and that there were numerous satellite images tracking the movement of Brahamaputra river.”
"We discussed the reported diversion of water by China. Krishna explained that there is a concern but he also said there will be no impact on Assam`s share of water.”
“I am convinced Chinese dam construction will not have any impact, neither ecological, nor on river flow. I am convinced it`s a run of the river project," he added.
The External Affairs Minister added: “I explained to the Chief Minister that we understand Assam`s anxiety on this issue. I would reiterate we have been monitoring developments through satellite imagery and through our interaction with Chinese authorities. China says it is run of the river project, so the question of storage or diversion of water doesn`t arise. We have made our own verifications."
An earlier statement by the Ministry of External Affairs had also termed China’s plan to construct a proposed dam as no cause of concern.
"It is a fact that China is constructing a dam at Zangmu in the middle reaches of the Brahmaputra River. We have ascertained from our own sources that this is a run of the river hydro-electric project, which does not store water and will not adversely impact the downstream areas in India," the statement said.
The Brahmaputra, which enters India from Tibet, is considered the lifeline of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note