Chit-fund scam: CBI team to visit Assam for investigation
Guwahati: A CBI team will visit Assam on Tuesday to assess the extent of the chit fund scam in the state.
The visit came in the wake of the state government`s decision last week to hand over some cases against chit fund companies, including the Saradha Group, to the probe agency.
"I welcome CBI`s decision to send a team here. The response from CBI to our request was very prompt," Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said here today.
He also said his government would soon form a Commission to monitor financial institutions to protect investors.
Assam government will soon form a Commission to monitor financial institutions in the state to prevent any improprieties by chit funds, NBFCs and other such operators and for protection of investors, Gogoi said.
The Commission will consist of members from judiciary, banking and finance and it will work to ensure that episodes like that of the multi-crore Saradha chit fund scam are not repeated in future.
"We will form a Commission so that such events do not recur in future," the CM said.
Gogoi, however, did not elaborate on the structure and powers that the Commission will have or the time frame by which it is likely to be formed.
He said the state government wanted to hand over cases against 11 companies, including Saradha Group, to the CBI.
On whether CBI will investigate the alleged links between Saradha Group chairman Sudipta Sen and Assam Education and Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sharma and the nexus between police and chit fund operators in the state, Gogoi said, "CBI will decide whom to investigate. I cannot say anything. It is not for me to instruct the CBI."
He, however, admitted that the charges were "serious".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof