Civil society has to come out to fight crime against women
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday called upon the civil society to support the government in eradicating crime against women.
"Along with the government, the NGOs and other social organisation will have to take initiative to struggle for eradicating crimes committed against women," Gogoi said during the inauguration ceremony of the new office of Assam State Commission for Women here.
He said the commission has a pivotal role to play in creating public awareness against atrocities on women and injustice faced by them in various walks of life.
Gogoi said the state government has taken a number of steps to make women self-reliant and economically independent.
"Self-help groups and panchayati raj institutions have played a major role in this. Women in Assam are not only politically aware but also major participants in the development process," he said.
The Chief Minister said steps have been initiated to increase reservation for women in panchayats of Assam to 50 per cent, from the current 33 per cent.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!