Commission of inquiry constituted into Sualkuchi i
Guwahati: Assam government has constituted a one-man commission of inquiry to inquire into the incidents of violence at the silk town of Sualkuchi on March 29-30 during which several persons were injured in clashes between police and protestors.
The commission, headed by Justice (Retd) S K Kar, "will ascertain the root causes leading to the violence at Sualkuchi and also ascertain the facts of procurement and selling of Benarasi silk clothes under the banner of Sualkuchi silk/Assam silk and misleading the people at large", an official statement said today.
"It (commission) will also identify individuals and/or organisations responsible for such activities and fix responsibility. The commission will also determine lapses, if any, on the part of any organisation/department/ administration to properly address the issue leading to the escalation of tension and violence in the area," it said.
The commission will also give recommendations for addressing the critical issues of Sualkuchi silk weavers and remedial course of action.
It will submit its report within six months.
Sualkuchi had witnessed major violence on March 29-30 with anti-artificial silk protesters burning clothes from shops and pelting stones at security personnel, who retaliated by firing.
Curfew was imposed in the town for two days and the Army was called in to control the situation.
Taking cognizance of media reports regarding police firing and lathi-charge on protestors in Sualkuchi, the Assam Human Rights Commission had on April 4 issued notice to the state Chief Secretary for conducting an inquiry into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in