Communal Violence Bill will deepen divide: Joshi
Guwahati: The Communal Violence Bill would
"deepen" the divide in the country and take away the rights of
states, BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi said on Thursday.
"The Communal Violence Bill does not explain who is a
minority or a majority. In a secular democracy describing one
as a religious majority or minority is not correct," Joshi
told reporters here.
"The constitution also does not mention which is a
majority or minority community," he said.
Stating that maintenance of law and order was a state
subject, Joshi said, the Bill will "take away the rights of
the states to maintain law and order and deepen communal
"The Bill is `galat` (wrong) and targets the majority
community. The BJP is strongly opposed to it," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate