Communal Violence Bill will deepen divide: Joshi
Guwahati: The Communal Violence Bill would
"deepen" the divide in the country and take away the rights of
states, BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi said on Thursday.
"The Communal Violence Bill does not explain who is a
minority or a majority. In a secular democracy describing one
as a religious majority or minority is not correct," Joshi
told reporters here.
"The constitution also does not mention which is a
majority or minority community," he said.
Stating that maintenance of law and order was a state
subject, Joshi said, the Bill will "take away the rights of
the states to maintain law and order and deepen communal
"The Bill is `galat` (wrong) and targets the majority
community. The BJP is strongly opposed to it," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt