Confidence building measures for peace in Assam
Guwahati: With violence dying down in lower Assam, the administrations of worst-hit Kokrajhar and Chirang districts have chalked out confidence building measures to restore peace in the area.
Peace meeting by committees comprising representatives of different communities, appeals to refugees to go home with the return of peace and a call to all political parties and organisations not to call bandhs, rallies road and rail blockades are among measures contemplated under the CBMs.
"Government dignitaries and political leaders have cut across party lines to appeal to the people to restore peace," Kokrajhar Deputy Commissioner Jayant Narlikar said.
A 16-member team of leading editors of local dailies in the state have taken stock of the situation in relief camps in Kokrajhar and Gossaigaon," he said.
Narlikar said the the government and the Bodoland Territorial District Administration have decided to rehabilitate "genuine" Indian citizens having valid land documents.
Chirang district deputy commissioner Puru Gupta said, "It can be said that the visit of Bodoland council members to camps has healed the situation to a great extent."
He said with the situation gradually returning to normal night curfew would be lifted from today.
"The district has been under 437 hours of curfew and it is time to take measures for permanent peace," he said.
Gupta said that recently a 130-member team from the
state`s cultural department visited several relief camps and held recreational activities for children bruised by the violence.
"Many members gave a scrub down and bathed children who have not done so for days which brought smiles on the faces of their mothers," Gupta said.
Over 4.86 lakh people were forced out of their homes during the violence, which has claimed 96 lives.
The deputy commissioner also said that the army plans to hold a national integration tour with affected children from camps who would be taken around the country.
"This will help them to return to normal," he said.
He said all measures have been taken to ensure that supply of essentials and food in the district and in the relief camps are maintained.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has renewed his appeal through the media for peace.
"We urge the people not to listen to rumours.
There is no more violence.
The government is making a sincere attempt to ensure peace," he said.
The violence in the state led an exodus of students, professionals and factory workers to the Northeast from other states fearing a backlash.
Since them a portion of them have left in a special train for Karnataka while another train is scheduled to leave tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly