Conflict in Assam due to large scale immigration: Advani
Kokrajhar: Senior BJP leader LK Advani on Monday said the conflict in Kokrajhar and neighbouring districts in Assam was due to immigration from across the border.
"It is not a conflict between Hindus and Muslims or between majority and minority communities. The problem has arisen due to large scale infiltration of illegal immigrants," said Advani, who is here on a two-day visit.
"I am very unhappy at what I have seen and what I have heard. It`s distressing that in 2012 these kinds of things are happening," the BJP leader, who visited two refugee camps in Kokrajhar district, said.
Cautioning that if the situation was not taken care of in time it could deteriorate, he said, "Till now we have only heard of Jammu and Kashmir where a whole population has been rendered homeless ... I hope this does not happen in Assam."
His visit follows a fact-finding tour by a BJP team led by party`s national general secretary Vijay Goel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note