Conflict in Assam due to large scale immigration: Advani
Kokrajhar: Senior BJP leader LK Advani on Monday said the conflict in Kokrajhar and neighbouring districts in Assam was due to immigration from across the border.
"It is not a conflict between Hindus and Muslims or between majority and minority communities. The problem has arisen due to large scale infiltration of illegal immigrants," said Advani, who is here on a two-day visit.
"I am very unhappy at what I have seen and what I have heard. It`s distressing that in 2012 these kinds of things are happening," the BJP leader, who visited two refugee camps in Kokrajhar district, said.
Cautioning that if the situation was not taken care of in time it could deteriorate, he said, "Till now we have only heard of Jammu and Kashmir where a whole population has been rendered homeless ... I hope this does not happen in Assam."
His visit follows a fact-finding tour by a BJP team led by party`s national general secretary Vijay Goel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day