Conflict in Assam due to large scale immigration: Advani
Kokrajhar: Senior BJP leader LK Advani on Monday said the conflict in Kokrajhar and neighbouring districts in Assam was due to immigration from across the border.
"It is not a conflict between Hindus and Muslims or between majority and minority communities. The problem has arisen due to large scale infiltration of illegal immigrants," said Advani, who is here on a two-day visit.
"I am very unhappy at what I have seen and what I have heard. It`s distressing that in 2012 these kinds of things are happening," the BJP leader, who visited two refugee camps in Kokrajhar district, said.
Cautioning that if the situation was not taken care of in time it could deteriorate, he said, "Till now we have only heard of Jammu and Kashmir where a whole population has been rendered homeless ... I hope this does not happen in Assam."
His visit follows a fact-finding tour by a BJP team led by party`s national general secretary Vijay Goel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state