Cong indulging in politics over `secret killings`: Mahanta
Guwahati: Asom Gana Parishad president and former Assam chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta on Sunday charged the ruling Congress government of playing politics regarding the issue of the alleged `secret killings` which shook the state between 1998 and 2001.
"Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi yesterday said AGP government of that time was involved in the so-called secret killings which is totally baseless. I want to ask how many innocent persons have lost their lives during the last 11 years of his government," Mahanta told reporters here.
He said AGP government, which ruled Assam between 1996 and 2001, had formed a commission under Justice S Haque to investigate the killings when scores of people, including relatives of ULFA leaders, were killed by unknown gunmen.
"However, Gogoi`s government appointed four more commissions in succession for investigating the issue. The Congress government is playing politics with the matter," Mahanta said.
He further said that Gogoi, who also holds the Home Ministry, owes responsibility failure to solve cases relating to death of many persons, including senior FCI official PC Ram and Agriculture department executive engineer Gadapani Pathak, which took place during the current Congress regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi