Cong MLA blames govt for bad communication
Karimganj: Newly elected Congress MLA from Borkhola constituency in South Assam bordering Bangladesh has blamed the government for poor progress in
development of communication which has resulted in retarded growth of the region.
"South Assam`s Barak valley is remote and suffers the most due to lack of communication both by road and rail and the government down the years have done very little," Runi Nath MLA told a news agency here.
Without directly blaming her party which has been in power in the state for the last ten years, the young woman MLA said lot of funds had been sanctioned but the existence of middlemen and corruption has obstructed development.
Coming down heavily on the former MLA from Borkhola Misbahul Islam Laskar, Nath alleged he failed to do any work and was immersed in large scale corruption for which the people rejected him.
The MLA vowed that during her tenure she will impress upon the government in Dispur, the state capital, to start development works on a war footing.
"The people have been fed up and even now someone travelling from Guwahati has to traverse through neighbouring state of Meghalaya for long 12 hours to reach Silchar", she said.
Nath, a former BJP MLA became controversial after she alongwith another party MLA from Barak valley voted for the Congress candidate Silvius Condpan in last year`s Rajya Sabha election subsequently which she was suspended from the party.
Asked what prompted her to take such a step, the MLA who subsequently joined the Congress refused to elaborate but said she had come to her parent party.
"I had ideological differences with the BJP leadership although I was full of praise for former Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee," she said.
The MLA claimed she was a primary member of the Congress but when the BJP offered her the ticket to fight the Borkhola seat she accepted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof