Congress gains 32, loses 15 sitting MLAs
Guwahati: The Congress in Assam, winning
a near absolute majority with 78 seats, has wrested 32 seats
from its opponents but its 15 sitting MLAs, including two
ministers, have lost their seats.
The Congress has gained the maximum number of 15 seats
from the AGP followed by seven seats from BJP, four from
AIUDF, five from Independents and one from the CPI.
Congress`s major achievement was getting the scalp of
the president`s of both the opposition parties - AGP and BJP.
AGP President Chandramohan Patowary`s loss to former
Congress MLA Neelmani Sen Deka in Dharmapur and BJP`s state
unit President Ranjit Dutta`s debacle in Behali at the hand of
an youth Congress leader and first time entrant into electoral
fray Pallab Lochan Das was a huge embarrassment for both the
The AGP, which managed to win only 10 seats, also had
to face the defeat of several party stalwarts including former
two-time chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta in Samaguri
though he managed to win in his home constituency Baharampur.
Former AGP President Brindabon Goswami also lost Tezpur,
which he has been representing since 1985, to Congress` Rajen
The Congress also wrested the traditional AGP bastion
of Nowgong, Dhekiajuli, Khumtai, Dergaon, Sarupathar,
Chaygaon, Nalbari, Mangaldoi (SC), besides Gauhati (West),
Abhayapuri (South), Chenga, Tingkhong and Amguri.
The Congress wiped out the BJP from the Barak Valley,
where it had won five seats in 2006, wresting Ratabari,
Patharkandi, Karimganj (North), Dholai and Borkhola.
In Karimganj (North), the Congress wrested the seat from
BJP`s legislature party leader Mission Ranjan Das and in
Borkhola it put up BJP sitting MLA, Rumi Nath, who was
subsequently suspended for anti-party activities and joined
the ruling party.
The Congress also wrested the Duliajan seat from the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015