Congress govt has lost moral right: AGP
Guwahati: Blaming ruling Congress for the failure to curb Bodo-minority violence in parts of lower Assam, opposition AGP on Sunday said the state government has lost its `moral right` to stay in power.
"While people of Assam are passing through such a massive humanitarian tragedy, the ruling Congress is busy indulging in infighting. Even Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has claimed that one senior leader is trying to bring about a regime change with support of one of the UPA coalition partners," AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanta told reporters here.
"The goverment has lost its moral right to continue in office," he said and accused the government of being negligent in providing security to inmates of relief camps.
Mahanta said the 20-member team of AGP, which had visited the violence-hit areas found no security personnel at the camps they visited. "In such a situation, how will the displaced people get confidence to return to their homes?"
He termed as `impractical` the state government`s plan to have all displaced persons back in their homes by August 15. "While CBI has decided to take up seven cases related to the violence, yesterday Gogoi announced plans for a judicial inquiry. How can there be two investigations? The state government should clarify this," he said.
The chief minister, he said, had himself said external forces are involved in the violence. "We want to know who the external forces are and why they have not been identified despite it being 20 days since the violence began."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Catch Jacqueline Fernandez-John Abraham-Varun Dhawan on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Indian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan released
- Turkey will adhere to democratic principles, rule of law: Deputy PM
- Hallmark, ISI Mark, BEE Label –Know which certification marks are important for products you buy
- Sonam Kapoor in awe of Anamika Khanna, stuns in beige drape- Pic you cannot miss!