Congress govt has lost moral right: AGP
Guwahati: Blaming ruling Congress for the failure to curb Bodo-minority violence in parts of lower Assam, opposition AGP today said the state government has lost its `moral right` to stay in power.
"While people of Assam are passing through such a massive humanitarian tragedy, the ruling Congress is busy indulging in infighting. Even Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has claimed that one senior leader is trying to bring about a regime change with support of one of the UPA coalition partners," AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanta told reporters here.
"The goverment has lost its moral right to continue in office," he said and accused the government of being negligent in providing security to inmates of relief camps.
Mahanta said the 20-member team of AGP, which had visited the violence-hit areas found no security personnel at the camps they visited. "In such a situation, how will the displaced people get confidence to return to their homes?"
He termed as `impractical` the state government`s plan to have all displaced persons back in their homes by August 15. "While CBI has decided to take up seven cases related to the violence, yesterday Gogoi announced plans for a judicial inquiry. How can there be two investigations? The state government should clarify this," he said.
The chief minister, he said, had himself said external forces are involved in the violence. "We want to know who the external forces are and why they have not been identified despite it being 20 days since the violence began."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...