Congress may ally with AIUDF in Assam: Gogoi
Morigaon: The Congress in Assam may go for an electoral alliance with the All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) in the forthcoming general elections, said Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday.
"If the party high command gives the green signal, we will have an alliance with the AIUDF in the state," Gogoi said while talking to reporters on the sidelines of a meeting here.
Though the AIUDF is an alliance partner of the Congress at the Centre, it is the single largest opposition party in the state.
Claiming that other parties in the state would not be a challenge to the Congress, the Chief Minister said in the forthcoming parliamentary elections his party would have a direct fight with only the BJP.
Asked to comment on the Congress` debacle in the just concluded Assembly elections in four states, Gogoi said his party chief Sonia Gandhi would be holding introspection meetings to rectify the drawbacks.
On the "secret killings" (of ULFA leaders` relatives) during the Prafulla Kumar Mahanta government in the 90s, he said the state government could not implement the Justice Saikia Commission report due to lack of evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city