Congress may ally with AIUDF in Assam: Gogoi
Morigaon: The Congress in Assam may go for an electoral alliance with the All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) in the forthcoming general elections, said Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday.
"If the party high command gives the green signal, we will have an alliance with the AIUDF in the state," Gogoi said while talking to reporters on the sidelines of a meeting here.
Though the AIUDF is an alliance partner of the Congress at the Centre, it is the single largest opposition party in the state.
Claiming that other parties in the state would not be a challenge to the Congress, the Chief Minister said in the forthcoming parliamentary elections his party would have a direct fight with only the BJP.
Asked to comment on the Congress` debacle in the just concluded Assembly elections in four states, Gogoi said his party chief Sonia Gandhi would be holding introspection meetings to rectify the drawbacks.
On the "secret killings" (of ULFA leaders` relatives) during the Prafulla Kumar Mahanta government in the 90s, he said the state government could not implement the Justice Saikia Commission report due to lack of evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees