Congress MLA assaulted by CRPF personnel
Mariani (Assam): Congress MLA Rupjyoti Kurmi was allegedly assaulted by CRPF personnel today when he had gone to inquire about the kidnapping and subsequent release of two garden labourers here in Assam`s Jorhat district.
The police said that the two tea garden labourers, Atul Kurmi and Ranjit Nayak, of Naginijan tea estate were kidnapped by miscreants from Nagaland yesterday.
The Assam police had lodged protests with its Nagaland counterparts and the duo were rescued and brought back by the latter to Mariani police station late last night.
The duo had gone to Mariani police station this morning to file an FIR and Kurmi, who is the local MLA, also reached the spot to inquire about the entire incident when the CRPF personnel allegedly assaulted him.
Kurmi`s supporters went on a rampage, damaging several vehicles and gheraoing the police station.
Jorhat Superintendent of Police Sanjukta Parashar rushed to the spot and assured Kurmi and his supporters that those allegedly involved in the attack on the MLA would be taken into custody.
Kurmi further said that he would write to Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Assembly Speaker Pranab Gogoi demanding a high-level inquiry into the incident and appropriate action against the guilty.
Senior police and civil officials are camping at the spot, but the situation was said to be tense though under control, sources said.
Meanwhile, road traffic to and from Nagaland was disrupted with vehicles stranded on both sides of the border.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- WATCH: Urvashi Rautela's sizzling dance with Dwayne Bravo at a party!
- Sangeeta Bijlani not miffed with 'Azhar', says Emraan Hashmi
- No sugar shortage: 31 million MT sugar to be available during 2016-17
- Vegan? Here's how you can get all key nutrients!
- India performing well as compared to other nations: UN expert