Congress MLA booked under non-bailable cases
Jorhat (Assam): Congress MLA Rupjyoti Kurmi has been booked under non-bailable cases for allegedly assaulting a police driver in Assam`s Jorhat district, police said on Wednesday.
Kurmi, who represents Mariani in the State Assembly, was on his way from his constituency to his residence in Jorhat town when he allegedly tried to overtake a vehicle of the Indian Reserve Battalion near Katonibari Tea Estate.
The police vehicle did not let the vehicle pass and later Kurmi overtook it and blocked the road, got off his vehicle and entered into an altercation with the police personnel.
Later, Kurmi allegedly picked up a helmet kept in his vehicle and hit the driver of the police van who was seriously injured.
The driver, identified as Kamal Mahan, was admitted to Jorhat Medical College Hospital and had to be administered five stitches on his head.
The police registered a case in the Mariani police station this morning under Sections 341/332/334 IPC which are non-bailable.
Kurmi was expected to surrender before the Chief Judicial Magistrate but was yet to do so.
Kurmi has been recently embroiled in several controversies regarding violent incidents in tea gardens along the Assam-Nagaland border in his constituency and also involved in agitations against the district administration for its alleged failure to resolve the issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state