Congress MLA booked under non-bailable cases
Jorhat (Assam): Congress MLA Rupjyoti Kurmi has been booked under non-bailable cases for allegedly assaulting a police driver in Assam`s Jorhat district, police said on Wednesday.
Kurmi, who represents Mariani in the State Assembly, was on his way from his constituency to his residence in Jorhat town when he allegedly tried to overtake a vehicle of the Indian Reserve Battalion near Katonibari Tea Estate.
The police vehicle did not let the vehicle pass and later Kurmi overtook it and blocked the road, got off his vehicle and entered into an altercation with the police personnel.
Later, Kurmi allegedly picked up a helmet kept in his vehicle and hit the driver of the police van who was seriously injured.
The driver, identified as Kamal Mahan, was admitted to Jorhat Medical College Hospital and had to be administered five stitches on his head.
The police registered a case in the Mariani police station this morning under Sections 341/332/334 IPC which are non-bailable.
Kurmi was expected to surrender before the Chief Judicial Magistrate but was yet to do so.
Kurmi has been recently embroiled in several controversies regarding violent incidents in tea gardens along the Assam-Nagaland border in his constituency and also involved in agitations against the district administration for its alleged failure to resolve the issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Quit TV as I couldn't do saas-bahu shows: Surveen Chawla
- Know who influences Shah Rukh Khan’s life – Details inside
- ED slaps case against BS Hooda and Associated Journal Ltd under PMLA
- Bhoot, pret, upari saya: MP minister clarifies on reasons behind farmers' suicide
- India Couture Week: Anita Dongre brings couture for 'bride on the go'