Congressmen disgruntled over second nominee for RS polls
Guwahati: Even as Prime Minister and Congress candidate Manmohan Singh`s victory is certain in the May 30 Rajya Sabha elections in Assam, the selection of the second contestant for the other seat has drawn flak within the ruling party.
Expressing reservations against the second candidate Santiuse Kujur`s nomination, senior Assam Congress leader Anjan Dutta told the media that he along with 25 other legislators are opposed to giving nomination to a fresh entrant to party.
"The nomination of Kujur has demoralised dedicated and senior partymen. If the ticket had to be given to an adivasi/tea community member, there were several other senior leaders," he said.
Dutta said he along with 25 aggrieved Congress MLAs would vote only for Singh and vote `under protest` for Kujur, the 39-year-old Congress nominee who claimed to have joined the party in 2006, for the second seat.
"We are not going to break party discipline, but we are not going to keep quiet. We will request Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to allow us to vote for Dr Singh as our first preference candidate in the polls", Dutta said.
The aggrieved MLAs would also meet party president Sonia Gandhi in Delhi after the elections to convey their grievances and the repercussions within the party and the tea/Adivasi community over the nomination, besides finding out who `misled` her over the choice of the second candidate.
Manmohan Singh is the first nominee of Congress for elections to two Rajya Sabha seats, while Kujur and Aminul Islam of All India United Democratic Front(AIUDF) are the contestants for the second seat.
The prime minister will contest for his fifth Rajya Sabha term from Assam.
Kujur is an adivasi leader from the Christian community who had contested the last Assembly polls from Panery in Udalguri district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`