Court sentences taxman to 2 yrs RI for forgery in I-T returns
New Delhi: A special CBI court in Guwahati has sentenced an Income Tax department official and another person to two years of rigorous imprisonment for defrauding the exchequer by claiming fraud I-T refunds.
The court also imposed a penalty of Rs 20,000 on each of them.
Those convicted include the then Tax Assistant in the I-T office of Dimapur in Nagaland Jagjibon Chakraborty and another person named Keishing James of Chingmeirong in Manipur`s Imphal.
"CBI had registered a case in this regard in 1990 and filed a charge sheet in 1992 against the duo alleging they made fraudulent withdrawals of Income Tax Refunds amounting to Rs 5,32,987 on the basis of fake/forged Income Tax Deduction at Source (TDS) certificates in the name of fictitious assesses and thereby cheated the government," a CBI spokesperson said here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor