CPM demands early rehabilitation of Assam violence victims
New Delhi: In the wake of ethnic violence in Assam`s Bodo Territorial Autonomous District (BTAD), CPI(M) on Sunday demanded immediate renewal of the National Register of Indian Citizens (NRIC) based on the 1971 voter list and distribution of photo identity cards to all citizens.
The Politburo also cautioned that the situation in Assam have been utilised by "various communal and divisive forces" in the rest of the country and called for vigilance against the "activities and designs of the communal and divisive forces."
"There has to be the speedy updating of the National Register of Indian Citizens (NRIC) based on the 1971 voter list and distribution of photo identity cards to all citizens based on that," it said in a statement here.
Urging the government to take steps expeditiously for the return and rehabilitation at least 2.4 lakh people living in relief camps, it said the administration should provide adequate security for the people to return to their homes and for restoration of normal life.
The party condemned the "efforts by various extremist forces" to further the communal and ethnic polarisation in the state.
"Both Hindu and Muslim extremist organisations have sought to fan passions. There was an exodus of people of the northeast from various places like Bengaluru, Pune and Chennai," it said.
"The efforts to disrupt the unity of the people on communal or regional lines should be strongly rebuffed," it said citing the alleged communal incidents in Uttar Pradesh`s Kosi Kalan, Bariely, Saharanpur, Pratapgarh and some other places.
It also condemned the alleged "hate campaign" against the Biharis in Maharashtra by MNS leader Raj Thackeray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE