CPM demands early rehabilitation of Assam violence victims
New Delhi: In the wake of ethnic violence in Assam`s Bodo Territorial Autonomous District (BTAD), CPI(M) on Sunday demanded immediate renewal of the National Register of Indian Citizens (NRIC) based on the 1971 voter list and distribution of photo identity cards to all citizens.
The Politburo also cautioned that the situation in Assam have been utilised by "various communal and divisive forces" in the rest of the country and called for vigilance against the "activities and designs of the communal and divisive forces."
"There has to be the speedy updating of the National Register of Indian Citizens (NRIC) based on the 1971 voter list and distribution of photo identity cards to all citizens based on that," it said in a statement here.
Urging the government to take steps expeditiously for the return and rehabilitation at least 2.4 lakh people living in relief camps, it said the administration should provide adequate security for the people to return to their homes and for restoration of normal life.
The party condemned the "efforts by various extremist forces" to further the communal and ethnic polarisation in the state.
"Both Hindu and Muslim extremist organisations have sought to fan passions. There was an exodus of people of the northeast from various places like Bengaluru, Pune and Chennai," it said.
"The efforts to disrupt the unity of the people on communal or regional lines should be strongly rebuffed," it said citing the alleged communal incidents in Uttar Pradesh`s Kosi Kalan, Bariely, Saharanpur, Pratapgarh and some other places.
It also condemned the alleged "hate campaign" against the Biharis in Maharashtra by MNS leader Raj Thackeray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Harshvardhan Kapoor’s Bollywood debut 'Mirzya' to release on October 7!
- Indian Premier League 2016, Qualifier 2: Gujarat Lions vs Sunrisers Hyderabad — As it happened...
- The 'unpredictability' in Kalki Koechlin's film career
- Tricks to preserve wedding attire
- Amitabh Bachchan to bat for girl child rights at Modi's achievement bash