Create Brahmaputra River Valley Authority: Tarun Gogoi to PM Modi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Sunday sought Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s intervention for creation of the proposed Brahmaputra River Valley Authority (BRVA) by revamping the existing Brahmaputra Board.
The chief minister, in a letter to Modi, said the creation of the BRVA was of paramount importance to tackle the perpetual flood and erosion problem and water-related hazards in Assam and the northeast region as a whole.
"We are facing formidable challenges in flood and erosion management sector due to non-implementation of integrated water resources management of the complex Brahmaputra river system since long," Gogoi said.
Although the government of India had announced creation of North East Water Resources Authority (NEWRA) for harnessing vast water resources of the region in 2004, he said it did not materialise due to objections raised by Arunachal Pradesh.
"Till this matter is resolved, the government of India may constitute the BRVA to tackle the flood and erosion problems in the region," he wrote in the letter.
It may be mentioned that a proposal for creation of BRVA is under active consideration of the central government. The Assam government has already placed its requisite views before the Centre in November 2012.
Gogoi also pleaded with Modi for early approval of flood and erosion management project of Brahmaputra and Barak valleys by the union water resources ministry.
Besides, Gogoi urged Modi to set up an Indian Institute of Management (IIM) in Guwahati. He said the state would provide land required to establish the IIM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble