Create Brahmaputra River Valley Authority: Tarun Gogoi to PM Modi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Sunday sought Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s intervention for creation of the proposed Brahmaputra River Valley Authority (BRVA) by revamping the existing Brahmaputra Board.
The chief minister, in a letter to Modi, said the creation of the BRVA was of paramount importance to tackle the perpetual flood and erosion problem and water-related hazards in Assam and the northeast region as a whole.
"We are facing formidable challenges in flood and erosion management sector due to non-implementation of integrated water resources management of the complex Brahmaputra river system since long," Gogoi said.
Although the government of India had announced creation of North East Water Resources Authority (NEWRA) for harnessing vast water resources of the region in 2004, he said it did not materialise due to objections raised by Arunachal Pradesh.
"Till this matter is resolved, the government of India may constitute the BRVA to tackle the flood and erosion problems in the region," he wrote in the letter.
It may be mentioned that a proposal for creation of BRVA is under active consideration of the central government. The Assam government has already placed its requisite views before the Centre in November 2012.
Gogoi also pleaded with Modi for early approval of flood and erosion management project of Brahmaputra and Barak valleys by the union water resources ministry.
Besides, Gogoi urged Modi to set up an Indian Institute of Management (IIM) in Guwahati. He said the state would provide land required to establish the IIM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack