Crime against women tops the list of crimes in Assam
Guwahati: Crime against women has topped the list of the number of different types of crimes committed in Assam since 2011, the Assembly was informed Monday.
Environment and Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain told the Assam Assembly that 54,660 incidents of crime against women were reported during the last three and a half years in the state.=
During the period, a total of 1,22,544 different types of crimes, including incidents against women, kidnapping and murder have taken place in the state, he said.
Replying to a query on behalf of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi who also holds the Home portfolio, Hussain said the number of registered cases are rising in every year since 2011.
While 2011 saw 28,023 incidents, the number increased in the following years with 2012 and 2013 registering 31,215 and 37,823 cases respectively.
Till July this year, 25,483 cases have been registered on different types of crimes across Assam.
"One of the reasons for the increased number is that reporting of the cases has gone up in recent years as people have become aware of the laws. The Home Department is doing everything possible to curb these crimes," Hussain said.
The Chief Minister has formed a committee to examine these crimes and to prevent them in future, he added.
Of the total 1,22,544 cases of crime reported since 2011, 35,565 cases of theft were registered between 2011 and 2014 July across the state, he said.
The number of cases related to kidnapping, rape, murder, and extortion stood at 15,689, 6,585, 4948 and 3,960 respectively.
Besides, 983, 96, and 58 incidents of dacoity, blasts, and witch hunting respectively took place in the state during the said period, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India