Curfew imposed in Dhubri town, police fire in air, 6 injured
Dhubri (Assam): Curfew was imposed in Dhubri town of Assam this evening after six persons were injured in two rounds of clashes between police and protesters on Wednesday, official sources said.
The curfew was imposed after disturbances erupted following the stabbing of one Durga Puja pandal decorator by unidentified persons late last night in the town`s IG Road area, the sources said.
The curfew, clamped from 5pm, would be in force till 5 am tomorrow.
Kamal Ghosh, the decorator, was seriously injured after being stabbed at the Ghoshpara puja mandap last night. He was admitted to a local hospital and then referred to the Guwahati Medical College this morning.
This morning the coordination committee of all Durga Puja mandaps in Dhubri town organised a meeting to protest the incident and asked senior officials to meet them at the protest site.
The crowd got agitated as the Deputy Commissioner of Dhubri district did not come to meet the protesters. Soon, a huge crowd started shouting slogans against the administration and a minor scuffle with the police erupted.
Police resorted to a lathicharge and dispersed the crowd. Six persons were injured in this morning`s lathicharge.
Within an hour, the Dhubri Sarvajanik Durga Puja Sammanway Samiti called a bandh in the town. The bandh evoked good response.
The Samiti also said the Durga Puja idols would not be immersed till the administration take action against the culprits responsible for attacking Ghosh.
Later in the afternoon, a huge crowd gathered at Harisabha area and prevented the immersion procession of the Durga idol of the puja conducted at the Police Reserve.
They argued that since the Samiti had called the bandh and announced that no immersions would be conducted until administration takes action against the culprits responsible for the stabbing, the puja committee of Police Reserve would also not be allowed to proceed with the immersion.
This led to a scuffle between the Samiti supporters and police. Three round of were fired in the air by the police personnel, followed by tear gas canisters to disperse the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days