Curfew imposed in Dhubri town, police fire in air, 6 injured
Dhubri (Assam): Curfew was imposed in Dhubri town of Assam this evening after six persons were injured in two rounds of clashes between police and protesters on Wednesday, official sources said.
The curfew was imposed after disturbances erupted following the stabbing of one Durga Puja pandal decorator by unidentified persons late last night in the town`s IG Road area, the sources said.
The curfew, clamped from 5pm, would be in force till 5 am tomorrow.
Kamal Ghosh, the decorator, was seriously injured after being stabbed at the Ghoshpara puja mandap last night. He was admitted to a local hospital and then referred to the Guwahati Medical College this morning.
This morning the coordination committee of all Durga Puja mandaps in Dhubri town organised a meeting to protest the incident and asked senior officials to meet them at the protest site.
The crowd got agitated as the Deputy Commissioner of Dhubri district did not come to meet the protesters. Soon, a huge crowd started shouting slogans against the administration and a minor scuffle with the police erupted.
Police resorted to a lathicharge and dispersed the crowd. Six persons were injured in this morning`s lathicharge.
Within an hour, the Dhubri Sarvajanik Durga Puja Sammanway Samiti called a bandh in the town. The bandh evoked good response.
The Samiti also said the Durga Puja idols would not be immersed till the administration take action against the culprits responsible for attacking Ghosh.
Later in the afternoon, a huge crowd gathered at Harisabha area and prevented the immersion procession of the Durga idol of the puja conducted at the Police Reserve.
They argued that since the Samiti had called the bandh and announced that no immersions would be conducted until administration takes action against the culprits responsible for the stabbing, the puja committee of Police Reserve would also not be allowed to proceed with the immersion.
This led to a scuffle between the Samiti supporters and police. Three round of were fired in the air by the police personnel, followed by tear gas canisters to disperse the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in