Curfew in Sualkuchi relaxed for 12 hrs; judicial inquiry to be ordered
Guwahati/Sualkuchi: Curfew was relaxed for 12 hours in the silk town of Sualkuchi onMonday with the Assam government announcing that it would order an inquiry into Saturday`s violence by weavers and local people.
Panchayat and Rural Development Minister Rockybul Hussain told the Assembly that the curfew was relaxed for 12 hours from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
"Peace is returning fast to Sualkuchi. The situation is calm and under control," Hussain said.
"We have already ordered an inquiry by the additional DC into the incident and based on the inquiry report we will take action. However, many sections including opposition parties have demanded a high-level inquiry. Therefore, we have decided to order a judicial inquiry," he said during zero hour.
The Army was present in the town but did not conduct flag marches as the situation was calm, though the police and paramilitary forces were on patrol, official sources said.
The Higher Secondary examinations took place peacefully in the town.
Deputy Commissioner S K Roy prohibited the sale of Assamese attires made of genuine Assam Silk and imported Benarasi silk in the same shop from today in the district under Section 144 CrPC.
The silk clothes would have to be sold in separate shops with signboards clearly stating which variety was being stocked.
The administration would search for artificial silk clothes being sold as Muga and Paat silk for the protection of the local silk industry.
Replying to a point of order in the House, Handloom and Textile Minister Pranati Phukan said there were five yarn banks in Sualkuchi and more would be set up if necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!