Curfew in Sualkuchi relaxed for 12 hrs; judicial inquiry to be ordered
Guwahati/Sualkuchi: Curfew was relaxed for 12 hours in the silk town of Sualkuchi onMonday with the Assam government announcing that it would order an inquiry into Saturday`s violence by weavers and local people.
Panchayat and Rural Development Minister Rockybul Hussain told the Assembly that the curfew was relaxed for 12 hours from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
"Peace is returning fast to Sualkuchi. The situation is calm and under control," Hussain said.
"We have already ordered an inquiry by the additional DC into the incident and based on the inquiry report we will take action. However, many sections including opposition parties have demanded a high-level inquiry. Therefore, we have decided to order a judicial inquiry," he said during zero hour.
The Army was present in the town but did not conduct flag marches as the situation was calm, though the police and paramilitary forces were on patrol, official sources said.
The Higher Secondary examinations took place peacefully in the town.
Deputy Commissioner S K Roy prohibited the sale of Assamese attires made of genuine Assam Silk and imported Benarasi silk in the same shop from today in the district under Section 144 CrPC.
The silk clothes would have to be sold in separate shops with signboards clearly stating which variety was being stocked.
The administration would search for artificial silk clothes being sold as Muga and Paat silk for the protection of the local silk industry.
Replying to a point of order in the House, Handloom and Textile Minister Pranati Phukan said there were five yarn banks in Sualkuchi and more would be set up if necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack